Today, we move our previews to the soccer field as we look at two of the top teams in not only the metro area but in the state of Missouri. Both Christian Brother College and Fort Zumwalt South return a solid group of players from last year that will be a big part of the two team’s success this coming fall.
Terry Michler enters his 51st season as the head coach of the Cadets as he welcomes five starters from the 2021 season, including senior midfielder Evan Hill and junior midfielder Sam Villa.
Fort Zumwalt South will attempt to win their third straight Missouri State High School Activities Association Class 3 title as head coach Jim Layne will have a mixture of veterans and newcomers on the pitch this season.
Christian Brothers College Cadets
- Head Coach – Terry Michler
- Record at school – 1,022-290-118 in 50 years
- Conference – Metro Catholic Conference
- 2021 record – 18-6-1
- Returning players Seniors – Evan Hill co-captain and center back, Gabe Stewart- forward/midfielder, George Gaylord and Mick McLaughlin – goalie, and Brady Dyn – midfield.
- Juniors – Sam Villa – co-captain and midfielder – Dominic Bartoni – striker, Karlo Anic – wing back, Nate Tebeau – wing midfield, Alex Etzel – wing midfield, Matt Garrone – wing back, Liam Meyer, midfield, Donovan Tabb – forward.
- Sophomore – Ryan Rook – forward
- Players to Watch: Evan Hill, Sam Villa, Gabe Stewart, Dominic Bartoni, George Gaylord and Mick Mclaughlin, Nate Tebeau.
Season Outlook: “With 14 returning players, with six of them back for the third season, we should be experienced and ready to roll,” stated Michler. “Our expectations are always high, and this year is no exception. Our goal is to be the last team standing at the end of the year. Of course, we realize there are many worthy teams and we expect to be one of them.
- Tuesday, August 30 vs Ladue
- Saturday, September 3 vs Chaminade
- Thursday, September 22 at Fort Zumwalt South
Fort Zumwalt South Bulldogs
- Head Coach – Jim Layne
- Record at school – 222-101-4 in 12 years
- Conference – Gateway Athletic Conference South
- 2021 record – 25-3
- 2021 Highlights – Defeated Ladue 2-1 to claim their second consecutive Class 3 title last season.
- Starters Returning – Brayden Bresler, Aidan Dietiker, Kyle Owens, Dylan Martin
- Top Returning Players – Brayden Bresler, Aidan Dietiker, Kyle Owens, Dylan Martin, Evan Baisch
- Players to Watch – Evan Baisch, Jackson Baum, Zach Koester, Jackson Baum, Alex Bresler, Carter Rich
Season Outlook: “This group will look different than what we’ve had the past few seasons,” stated Layne. “After graduating 10 seniors, who won back-to-back state championships, we will bring in many new faces to the varsity level. That said, the boys listed above were all part of last year’s state championship and a few of them were part of both the 2020 and 2021 championship teams. Therefore, they all have the experience to play in the atmosphere of the playoffs. I believe we will be a team that has the potential to make some noise at the end of the season. We may not be as technical of a group, but our work ethic, fitness, and overall team speed should help us maneuver through a season packed with some of the best teams in St. Louis.”
- Monday, August 29 at Lafayette
- Thursday, September 22 vs CBC
- Thursday, October 13 at St. Dominic
Jim Powers has been covering prep sports in the St. Louis area for 15+ years and a part of the Missouri State High School Activities Association Championship Broadcasts for the past 11 years. Powers is also a part of the Fox 2 Verlo Mattress Prep Zone Friday nights at 10:10 during the football and basketball seasons. If you have a prep sports story, please contact Jim at email@example.com. Follow Jim at @hssportscaravan