In this week’s edition of the Monday Morning Wrap Up, we continue to preview the upcoming football season with a pair of teams that are looking to improve from last season.
Tom Beauchamp returns 17 starters from the 2021 season as Parkway South looks to continue its upward swing. With 10 returners on offense, the Patriots will have a veteran group that will look to turn the program around.
Derrick Colquitt returns home to take over the University City program after two years at the helm at Lutheran South. The Lions return eight players on the offensive side of the ball, including quarterback Mekhai Gover and wide receiver De’Mario Battest while the defensive side has nine returning.
Parkway South Patriots
- Head Coach – Tom Beauchamp
- Record at school – 2-12 in 3rd year at South
- Conference – Suburban Orange
- 2021 record – 1-8
- Returning players: La’Ron Easton*, Bennett Diehl, Pierce Bryant*, MeKhi Moore, Sam Jones*, Kyle Brown*, Brett Thoelke, Eddie Ahearn, Drew Heinlich, Brandon Ingram, Areion Chaney, Deshaun Davis, Carson Johnson, Danny Morrow.
- *- All-District
- Players to Watch: Deshaun Davis – Sophomore and Jaylen Sutton – Senior
- Upfront on the line – Carson Johnson, Ross McCulla, August Johansen, Andrew Hertlein, Logan Ellerman
Season Outlook: “We are looking forward to having our solid first group of players for this fall,” stated Beauchamp. “We have a talented group back on both sides of the ball and many all-conference players back this year. The players are excited and have had their first off-season in the weight room. Covid had stopped us from having a good offseason prep last year and the year prior. We feel like our kids have matured and are working hard at preparing for this season.”
- Friday, August 26 at Parkway Central
- Friday, September 30 at Seckman
- Friday, October 14 at Fox
University City Lions
- Head Coach – Derrick Colquitt
- Record at school – 0-0 in his first year
- Conference – Suburban
- 2021 record – 5-6
- Returning players: Mekhai Gover – QB/LB, Eli Blackwell – OL/DL, De’Mario Battest – WR/DB, Jordan Sleet – OL/DL, Jaden Woods – OL/DL, DJ Washington – TE/DE
- Players to Watch: Mekhai Gover – QB/LB, Eli Blackwell – OL/DL, De’Mario Battest – WR/DB, Tyler Lemen – TE/LB, Jared Martin – RB/LB, Jordan Sleet – OL/DL, Jaden Woods – OL/DL, DJ Washington – TE/DE, J’Shon Craig – RB/LB, Derron Finnie – WR/DB, Isaac Armour-Dozier – WR/DB
“The season looks promising,” stated Colquitt. “The young men are buying into a culture change, working extremely hard in the weight room, and adjusting well to the new offense, defense, and special teams. We are going to lean on our seniors on and off the field to show our underclassmen what it takes to be successful and team-oriented.”
- Saturday, August 27 vs Riverview Gardens
- Friday, September 9 at St. Charles West
- Saturday, October 22 vs Ritenour
Jim Powers has been covering prep sports in the St. Louis area for 15+ years and a part of the Missouri State High School Activities Association Championship Broadcasts for the past 11 years. Powers is also a part of the Fox 2 Verlo Mattress Prep Zone Friday nights at 10:10 during the football and basketball seasons. If you have a prep sports story, please contact Jim at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow Jim at @hssportscaravan