In today’s edition of the Monday Morning Wrap-Up, we continue to preview the upcoming football season with a pair of teams that are members of the AAA Conference. St. Dominic is looking to continue its winning ways after an outstanding run in the state tournament last season while Bishop DuBourg/Hancock will have a new man on the sidelines as the Cavaliers are looking to improve their program.
The Crusaders return eight starters on the offensive side of the ball, including their All-State running back Jackson Overton. Overton was ninth in the area in scoring with 29 touchdowns and 174 points. He will join veteran signal-caller Kelly Welby in the backfield to power the St. Dominic offense against one of the toughest schedules in the state.
The Cavaliers will look to veteran head coach Chad Masters to turn around the fortunes of their football program. Masters welcomes 14 starters back from last year. Jayvonn Sanders will be a big key in the Cavaliers offense with newcomer Jack Masters running the show from the quarterback position.
St. Dominic Crusaders
- Head Coach – Blake Markway
- Record at school – 49-40 in eight years
- Conference – AAA Conference
- 2021 record – 8-5
- 2021 highlights: Won their district before falling to MICDS in the state quarterfinals 22-20.
- Returning players: RB Jackson Overton – Senior – Two-time All-State, First Team All-State RB in 2021 with 1,642 yds and 29 touchdowns.
- RB Sam Cross -Senior – 652 rushing yards and nine touchdowns in 2021. Led team with 7.2 yards per carry.
- QB Kelly Welby -Senior – 1,555 passing yards, 14 touchdowns with six interceptions, and a 60-percent completion rate as a junior.
- OL Nash Kell -Senior – Second Team All-State Selection last season as our starting center. Also starting middle linebacker.
- OL TJ Kwapiszeski – Senior – All-Conference and All-District Selection last season.
- DE Owen Reinsch – Junior – Rotational player last season as a sophomore who should be a breakout performer this season.
- DT Sam Birkenmeier – Senior – Starting defensive tackle last season as a first-year football player.
- SS Thomas Pulliam – Junior – Started 13 games as a sophomore and was third on the team with 61 tackles.
- FS Connor Beerman – Junior – Rotated at free safety and called our defense last season. Very physical, athletic player.
- Kicker Max Nash – Senior – Third Team All-State last year at kicker
- Players to Watch: TE Seth Skiljan – Senior – We replace two 3-year starters at tight end. In their absence, Seth started a game last year and should do a great job in that role this season.
- WR Cody Powell -Senior and Jackson Nickodym – Junior – Powell started all 13 games as our Z receiver in 2021 but was behind a few senior primary targets last season. He should take an increased role in targets in 2022 and be a playmaker, along with Jackson Nickodym who has excelled this offseason as we replace our top 3 receivers from last year.
- DE Vinny Pescarino -Senior: Vinny is a long, athletic defensive end that moved from safety going into his junior year. With a year under his belt at the position, the state-qualifying high jumper at 6’3, 190lbs should be a solid part of our defensive unit in 2022.
Season Outlook: “We play 2 state champions on our schedule in Lutheran St. Charles and St. Mary’s, as well as perennial power MICDS,” stated Markway. “In addition, we also picked up state quarterfinalist Lift for Life and a very talented Duchesne team who has been very tough the last couple of years with young teams who are now mostly ¾ year starters. Our other games are against familiar, tough, and well-coached teams we’ve played for most of my tenure at SDHS in St. Charles West, Borgia, and Westminster. It will be a tough schedule but as we always preach to our players, the goal is to play our best football come November. That means we are improving each day of practice, each week of the season regardless of opponent or outcome, and continue to progress as a TEAM as the regular season turns to District and State Playoffs.”
- Friday, September 9 vs Lutheran St. Charles
- Friday, September 30 vs St. Mary’s
- Friday, October 14 vs MICDS
Bishop DuBourg/Hancock Cavaliers
- Head Coach – Chad Masters
- Record at school – 0-0 in his first year
- Conference – AAA Conference
- 2021 record – 0-8
- Returning players: ___Jayvonn Sanders – Junior WR/RB/DB, Lamont Jefferies – Sophomore – OL/DL, A’Shaunn Pickens – Junior – TE, Mohammed Diallo – Junior – QB/DB, David Sides -Junior – OL/DL, Davion Sides – Junior – OL/LB, Jimmy Staub – Junior – WR/DB, Brandon Becton – Senior – WR/DB
- Players to Watch: Jack Masters – Junior – QB/DB, Jayonn Sanders, O’Ryan Hill – Junior – WR/DB, AJ Huston – Sophomore – OL/DL, Lamont Jefferies, Karon Wise – Freshman – RB/LB
Season Outlook: “We are looking to build a strong base and culture within the program that will help us not only this year but also moving forward,” stated Masters. “We have retooled the football schedule to play a more competitive and comparative schedule with similar size schools and programs. We have had very high participation numbers through the summer, as well as having a larger roster than in the past few years. With several newcomers into the program, we will be able to have depth and be able to develop our players this season. This is a season that will be very positive and beneficial to the long-term success of this football program!”
- Friday, August 26 vs DeSoto
- Friday, September 9 at Affton
- Friday, October 14 at Lutheran South
Jim Powers has been covering prep sports in the St. Louis area for 15+ years and a part of the Missouri State High School Activities Association Championship Broadcasts for the past 11 years. Powers is also a part of the Fox 2 Verlo Mattress Prep Zone Friday nights at 10:10 during the football and basketball seasons. If you have a prep sports story, please contact Jim at email@example.com. Follow Jim at @hssportscaravan