As we look at Rockwood Summit and Lutheran South, we continue our previews for the upcoming football season in today’s edition of the Friday Fast Break.
The Falcons are looking to keep the winning ways going after a historic 2021 campaign that saw them set a new school record with an undefeated regular season. Summit will hang their hat once again on the defensive side of the ball as they surrendered only three points per game during the regular season.
The Lancers will welcome new head coach Brad Loomis into the fold this season as they look to improve on a 3-7 mark from last season. The Lancers return 10 seniors to this year’s squad, including their three-year starter at quarterback.
Rockwood Summit Falcons
- Head Coach – Eric Stewart
- Record at school – 53-34 in eight years
- Conference – Suburban Green
- 2021 record – 11-1
- 2021 highlights – Finished the regular season undefeated for the first time in school history. Won their conference and district before falling to Jackson 49-14 in the Class 5 quarterfinals.
- Returning players: Elijah Stevens – Junior, Dominic Nenninger – Senior, Dominic Bentrup – Junior, Kaden Wallace -Senior, Samuel Vu – Junior, Justin Cornett – Junior, Topher Hemphill – Junior, Caelin Stegmann – Senior
- Players to Watch: Grant Gibson – Junior, Coen Haynes – Junior, Jason Kirk – Junior, Tyrique Williams -Sophomore, Kaloep Young – Sophomore, Omar Hussein – Sophomore, Kamron Fowler Sophomore, Mohamed Omar -Senior, Jake Palumbo – Junior, Gavin Hanrahan – Junior, Sam Sutter – Junior, Chase Martin – Sophomore, Gabe Sieve – Sophomore
- Season Outlook:
- We are excited to build upon our success from last year,” stated Stewart. “We will have to replace several key contributors from last season but feel that our program’s depth will provide us with plenty of kids to reload at key positions.”
- Friday, August 26 at Webster Groves
- Friday, September 16 at Parkway North
- Friday, September 23 vs Lindbergh
Lutheran South Lancers
- Head Coach – Brad Loomis
- Record at school – 0-0 in his first year
- Conference – Metro League
- 2021 record – 3-7
- Returning players: Logan Slinkard, Cole Buscher, Ben Long, Dillon Slinkard, Luba Deele, Brian Eichelberger, Ezekial Samking
- Players to Watch: Kevin Hill, Mitchell Craig-Meyer, Dyson Detter, Ty Lowery, Mick Otto, Aiden Toner
- Season Outlook:
- “While the Lancers have a new Head Coach, many assistant coaches remain on staff, providing consistency during the transition,” stated Loomis. “With the graduation of most of the starting offensive and defensive fronts, there are big shoes to fill on both sides of the football. The 10 seniors on the team are looking to take a step forward and fight for a competitive finish in the Metro Conference. The offense is led by three-year starter Logan Slinkard at quarterback and returns last season’s top five receivers, including Cole Buscher who contributed 41 receptions for 738 yards. 10 of the top 11 tacklers on defense also return, led by Dillon Slinkard and Ben Long who had 66 and 63 tackles respectively. Four of the five players with an interception also return, led by Ezekial Samking, who had three interceptions.”
- Friday, August 26 vs Affton
- Saturday, September 17 at John Burroughs
- Friday, October 14 vs Bishop DuBourg
Jim Powers has been covering prep sports in the St. Louis area for 15+ years and a part of the Missouri State High School Activities Association Championship Broadcasts for the past 11 years. Powers is also a part of the Fox 2 Verlo Mattress Prep Zone Friday nights at 10:10 during the football and basketball seasons. If you have a prep sports story, please contact Jim at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow Jim at @hssportscaravan