In today’s fall sports previews, we turn our attention to the volleyball court as we look at two of the top teams in the area from last season. Both Eureka and St. Dominic had outstanding 2021 seasons and will look to continue that trend this coming season.
The Wildcats will look to an outstanding core group that returns to continue their dominance in the Suburban Yellow conference. Eureka has three players that have made verbal commitments to continue their careers following graduation.
St. Dominic will look to return to the state final four for the third consecutive year after finishing in third place last season and fourth in 2020. Despite losing some key players from last season’s team, the Crusaders will turn to an experienced returning group to lead the way this season.
- Head Coach – Jodie Fowler
- Record at school – 88-26-3 in four years
- Conference – Suburban Yellow
- 2021 record – 30-4
- 2021 highlights – Won their conference with a perfect 6-0 record before falling to Lafayette 3-2 in Class 5 district action
- Returning players: Abby Holt, Juliette Myrick, Mia Berg, Olivia Hasbrook, Dana Grib, Jenna Cubbage, and Caroline Keathley.
- All of the above returners have put in great offseason work with weight/strength training programs and club volleyball programs, so I’d expect all to have great seasons!
- Myrick had 126 kills and was second on the team with 243 digs last season with Abby Holt adding 207 digs and 183 kills last year.
Season Outlook: “Hard-nosed defense, total team chemistry, and an unpredictable offense will be key to our success this season,” stated Fowler. “We’ve put together a strong schedule and will be playing teams from all over the state, constantly be looking to improve. With this schedule, we’ll have no other choice!”
- Friday, August 26 at Borgia
- Saturday, October 1 at Eureka Tournament
- Wednesday, October 5 vs Lindbergh
St. Dominic Crusaders
- Head Coach – Courtney Bland
- Record at school – 184-80-16 in eight seasons at St. Dominic
- Conference – AAA
- 2021 record – 25-11-3
- 2021 Highlights – Finished the season in third place in the Missouri State High School Activities Association Class 5 tournament by defeating Rock Bridge 3-2. The Crusaders fell to Cor Jesu in the semifinals 3-0.
- Returning players Mary Kate Mulvaney, Kayla Robertson, Ella Bland, Riley Robertson, and Anna Kohmetscher.
- Kayla Robertson was second on the team last year with 278 kills and 39 blocks while Mary Kate Mulvaney returns after pacing St. Dominic with 396 assists last season.
Season Outlook: “We lost several players last season, but our program is very deep, and we will be highly competitive at all levels again this year,” stated Bland. “We are being led by senior setter May Kate Mulvaney with Kayla Robertson and Anna Kohmetscher returning and swinging outside so we know our offense will be very strong.”
- Tuesday, September 13 vs Borgia
- Thursday, September 15 vs Lutheran St. Charles
Jim Powers has been covering prep sports in the St. Louis area for 15+ years and a part of the Missouri State High School Activities Association Championship Broadcasts for the past 11 years. Powers is also a part of the Fox 2 Verlo Mattress Prep Zone Friday nights at 10:10 during the football and basketball seasons. If you have a prep sports story, please contact Jim at email@example.com. Follow Jim at @hssportscaravan