Today, we wrap up our volleyball previews with a pair of teams that will look to make some noise this fall on the court. Both Francis Howell and Festus return a solid group of upperclassmen that will be key parts of both teams competing for conference titles.
Francis Howell Vikings
- Head Coach – Alison Hrusovsky
- Record at school – 0-0 in first year
- Conference – Gateway Athletic Conference
- 2021 record – 16-15-4
- Starters Returning: Avery Helms, Liv Benson, Kendall Martin, Danielle Moore, Avery Guisinger, Ella Kloepper, Morgan Dumm, Taylor Dumm.
- Varsity players returning from 2021– Senior – Liv Benson, Kiera Bradley, Ali Novak, Kendall Martin, Taylor Dumm, Ava Huelsing Juniors – Avery Guisinger, Ella Kloepper, Claudia Bonacorsi Sophomores – Danielle Moore, Avery Helms, Morgan Dumm.
- Returning players: Ella Kloepper, Avery Helms, Danielle Moore, Liv Benson, Kendall Martin, Avery Guisinger, Ava Huelsing, Morgan Dumm, and Taylor Dumm.
- Players to Watch: Ella Kloepper, Avery Helms, Danielle Moore, Avery Guisinger, Morgan Dumm, Taylor Dumm,
- Season Outlook: “This is a strong returning core group that should have a lot of depth off the bench and versatility throughout the season,” stated Hrusovsky. “A pair of sisters (Morgan and Taylor Dumm) competing for the setting position. Avery Helms(libero) and Danielle Moore (RS) are two sophomores that hold key positions for us. Six seniors look to lead this team with experience and a great work ethic. A bit of a “chip” on their shoulder to advance further than they have in recent years.”
- Friday, August 26 vs Fort Zumwalt South
- Thursday, September 8 vs Howell Central
- Thursday, October 6 at Borgia
- Head Coach – Stephanie Whitehead
- Record at school – 12-18-1 in second year
- Conference – Jefferson County Athletic Association
- 2021 record – 12-18-1
- Returning players: Gabbi Burkard, Ella Shy, Delaney Willis, Claire Martin, Audrey Jackson, Kali Oshia, Jersey Moonier, and Alexis Biehle.
- New to the Team: Jessie Hawkins, Ella Mothersbaugh, Ana Bell, Ava Croft, and Anna Raye.
- Players to Watch: All of them. Some returning stat leaders from last year include Gabbi Burkard, Delaney Willis, Ella Shy, and Kali Oshia. I look for all of our seniors to make significant contributions on the court and keep an eye on the rest as they all will be filling important roles.
- Season Outlook: “We are looking forward to this season,” said Whitehead. “Looking to bring back the JCAA Large School Conference Championship to Festus! This year we look for our defensive and offensive systems to be better balanced, leading to more success!”
- Tuesday, August 30 at Ste. Genevieve
- Saturday, September 10 at North County Lady Raider Invite
- Tuesday, September 20 vs DeSoto
Jim Powers has been covering prep sports in the St. Louis area for 15+ years and a part of the Missouri State High School Activities Association Championship Broadcasts for the past 11 years. Powers is also a part of the Fox 2 Verlo Mattress Prep Zone Friday nights at 10:10 during the football and basketball seasons. If you have a prep sports story, please contact Jim at email@example.com. Follow Jim at @hssportscaravan