We continue to preview all of the fall sports and girls’ volleyball is once again going to be outstanding in the area as many of the top players are returning for their senior seasons.
Lafayette lost a bunch from their state championship team but Zach Young will have three returning starters back with aspirations to return to the final four. Jackson is a team that plays many teams in the area and will always push the local squads in the state playoffs. Pattonville is another team to watch as they return a pair of threats on the offensive side of the net.
- Head Coach: Zach Young
- Years at School and Coaching Record: 11 years at LHS (339-52)
- Conference: Suburban Yellow Pool
- Last Year’s Overall and Conference Record: 32-6 (4-1 conference)
- Starters Returning – 3
- Top Returning Players: Alyssa Nelson, Allison Risley, Ellie Emms, Mia Moser, Maya Witherspoon
- Players to Watch: Jayden Wiese, Megan Skaggs, Mackie Mueller
Season Outlook: Losing 7 incredible seniors from last season, we know we have a big hole to fill. However, we have a solid core back from last year’s team that is eager to step up and lead.
- Head Coach: Dave Mirly
- Years at School and Coaching Record: 6 years @ Jackson 173-43, 18 total years, 441-174
- Conference: SEMO Conference
- Last Year’s Overall and Conference Record: 31-5-4 (4-0 in Conference)
- Starters Returning – Nadia Wasilewski, Holland Guilliams, Charlee Koepp, Grace Newell, Sydnie Floyd, Katy St. John, Ella Domian, and Christa Vandeven.
Season Outlook: Jackson Volleyball has high expectations for this season. We expect to practice at such a high level that when we play a game we don’t have to rise to the occasion, all we have to do is fall to the level of our training. If we can train harder than all other teams, we expect to have the most successful season in school history.
- Head Coach: Jenell Franken
- Years at School and Coaching Record: 4th year
- Conference: Suburban
- Last Year’s Overall and Conference Record: 29-6-1 overall, 5-0 in conference
- Starters Returning – Returning starters include both outside hitters, one middle, and a libero.
- Top Returning Players: Kylie Surratt, Regan Nelson, and Jenna Cochran
- Players to Watch: Kylie Surratt and Reagan Nelson
Season Outlook: We have added more competition to our schedule by playing Lafayette and St. Joe in the regular season. We are also traveling to Tampa, FL to play in the Nike Tournament of Champions.
Jim Powers has been covering prep sports in the St. Louis area for 15+ years and a part of the Missouri State High School Activities Association Championship Broadcasts for the past 11 years. Powers is also a part of the Fox 2 Verlo Mattress Prep Zone Friday nights at 10:10 during the football and basketball seasons. If you have a prep sports story, please contact Jim at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow Jim at @hssportscaravan