We continue to preview the 2022 Fall Sports today as we turn our attention to the volleyball court. Westminster will look to defend their Class 4 State Title while Washington will have an experienced group returning to compete in the very tough Gateway Athletic Conference.
The Wildcats return a core group that led them to their second state championship in school history. Emma Fairchild and Abby Siess will lead the way for Westminster on the outside while Sophia Shaver will run the offense from her setter position.
The Blue Jays also return a solid core group as they will attempt to change their fortunes in 2022. Jessie Tovo will be counted on to deliver some big swings from the outside while Abigail Gilliat will handle things from her setter position.
Westminster Christian Academy Wildcats
- Head Coach –Ben Briney
- Record at school – 26-8 in one year
- Conference – Metro League
- 2021 record – 26-8
- 2021 highlights – Won the school’s second Missouri High School Activities Association Championship with a 3-0 over Logan-Rogersville in the Class 4 title game.
- Returning players: Senior Alli Bishop – OPP, Senior Emma Fairchild – OPP, Senior Abby Siess – OH, Senior Shelby Truit – OH, Senior Avery Stanfill – L, Senior Sophia Shaver – Setter
- Fairchild returns after leading the Wildcats with 251 kills and adding 33 blocks and 55 digs. The Wildcat offense will run through Shaver after she finished the 2021 season second on the team in assists with 440.
- Players to Watch: Junior Lexi Frazier – Setter, Senior Middles Yemi Daramola, Kylie Robertson
- Season Outlook: “This season we will be experienced in a lot of positions, which will help us early as we will have new setter/middle hitter connections that need to get solidified as we get into October and post-season,” stated Briney. “This group is going to have the challenge of not being able to sneak up on anyone because of the success of last season. We will get everyone’s best game. Excited to get to tryouts and into season so we can get to work and into trusting the process of getting better every day.”
- Key Games:
- Saturday, October 1 at Eureka Tournament
Washington Blue Jays
- Head Coach – Lindsay Moritz
- Record at school – 19-34-4 in third year
- Conference – Gateway Athletic Conference
- 2021 record – 6-21-3
- Starters Returning: Jessie Tovo, Alexis Barks, Abigail Gilliat, Chloe Holtmeyer, Jora Weaver, Jillian Huellinghoff, and Gracie Meyer
- Returning players: Jessie Tovo, Abigail Gilliat, and Alexis Barks
- Tovo Led the Blue Jays with 182 kills last season and was second on the squad with 240 digs. Gilliat returns after a season that saw her hand out 565 assists last season.
- Players to Watch: Jillian Huellinghoff
- Season Outlook: “We are looking forward to our season,” stated Moritz. “We are returning almost everyone, and everyone is healthy. We have a lot of experience after last year and we are looking forward to starting the season off strong and continuing to increase our level of play throughout the season.”
- Key Games:
- Friday, August 26 at Marquette
- Saturday, September 10 at Borgia Tournament
- Tuesday, October 11 vs Fort Zumwalt South
Jim Powers has been covering prep sports in the St. Louis area for 15+ years and a part of the Missouri State High School Activities Association Championship Broadcasts for the past 11 years. Powers is also a part of the Fox 2 Verlo Mattress Prep Zone Friday nights at 10:10 during the football and basketball seasons. If you have a prep sports story, please contact Jim at email@example.com. Follow Jim at @hssportscaravan