In today’s edition of the Monday Morning Wrap-Up, we turn our focus back to the football field as we take a look at a team that is playing in their first varsity season and another squad that is looking to have a breakout season.
North Point High School in Wentzville will have its first varsity football season in the young school’s history and head coach Alex Zangriles is excited to get things going. He will have a core group that played junior varsity schedule last season that will be counted on to take their experience last year to the varsity level.
Second-year head coach Mike Genge will lead an Oakville program that returns 10 starters on offense and nine starters on defense this season. Senior quarterback Joey Bradley will take control of the offense while he will have four returners on the offensive line that will look to protect him in the backfield.
North Point Grizzlies
- Head Coach – Alex Zangriles
- Record at school – 0-0 in first
- Conference – Gateway Athletic Conference
- 2021 record – 0-0 – Playing varsity for the year
- Returners: Offense: QB Hoyt Gregory, RB Gabe McAffie, Slot Trey Trennepohl, Slot Aneas Smith, OL Carter Briddell, OL Levi Crosby, OL, Luke Gertken, OL Jimmy Thompson, OL Ben Clercx.
- Defense: DB Aneas Smith, DB Trey Trennepohl, DB Leo Buchheit, DB – Joel Massey, LB Riley Deslatte, LB – Kolton Witbeck, LB Peyton Briddell, DL/LB Domenic Colombatto, DL Luke Gertken, DL Jimmy Thompson.
- Top Returning Players: QB Hoyt Gregory, Slot/DB Trey Trennepohl, Slot/DB Aneas Smith, OL/DL Luke Gertken, OL/DL Jimmy Thompson, RB/LB Riley Deslatte, RB/LB Kolton Witbeck.
- Players to Watch: QB Hoyt Gregory, Slot/DB Trey Trennepohl, Slot/DB Aneas Smith, OL/DL Luke Gertken, OL/DL Jimmy Thompson, OL Carter Briddell, RB/LB Riley Deslatte, RB/LB Kolton Witbeck.
- Season Outlook: “Heading into our 1st full Varsity season, our team is working toward that challenge,” stated Zangriles. “We have leaders on both sides of the football, and we are looking to see the hard work and dedication they have committed to this offseason translate to the field.”
- Friday, August 26 vs Bowling Green
- Friday, September 2 at Fort Zumwalt North
- Friday, September 23 vs Fort Zumwalt South
- Head Coach – Mike Genge
- Record at school – 3-12 in two years
- Conference – Suburban Orange
- 2021 record – 3-7
- Returning players: Senior Jack Bishop-OL/DL, senior Riley Hughes-OL, junior Ethan Venable -RB/LB, senior Damien Moore-RB/CB, senior Joey Bradley – QB, sophomore Adam Kilburn- QB, senior Drew Lanzarini – WR/DB, senior Nadeem Jalali- TE/DB, senior Mihkel Johnson – DL, senior Terrell Cook – DE, senior Josh Baranovic – DB, senior Will Michel – LB, senior Tyler Updike – LB, senior Will McIver – LB, junior Joe Romano – DB/RB, senior Cody Freel – C.
- Players to Watch: Ethan Venable, Jack Bishop, Drew Lanzarini, Josh Baranovic, Damien Moore, Joey Bradley, Adam Kilburn, Nadeem Jalali
- Season Outlook: “Based on our returning players and off-season work I feel like we have a chance to have a good season,” stated Genge. The key for us will be early momentum and staying healthy. Our depth is good as we platoon a lot of our players, but injuries could change that. Our OL will be a huge strength for us as we return 4 of 5 starters from the last 2 seasons. Our numbers look good right now as we have over 100 players in the 9-12th grades currently. Our non-conference schedule is going to be tough as we drew Summit, Eureka, and Ladue, but to be the best you have to be willing to play the best.”
- Friday, September 2 at Mehlville
- Friday, September 16 vs Ladue
- Friday, October 21 at Parkway South
Jim Powers has been covering prep sports in the St. Louis area for 15+ years and a part of the Missouri State High School Activities Association Championship Broadcasts for the past 11 years. Powers is also a part of the Fox 2 Verlo Mattress Prep Zone Friday nights at 10:10 during the football and basketball seasons. If you have a prep sports story, please contact Jim at email@example.com. Follow Jim at @hssportscaravan