The wait is over as all of the 2022 fall sports get underway with practices today and we will continue our look at the fall season in today’s edition of the Monday Morning Wrap-Up as we check on a pair of football teams in St. Charles County.
Vince Morris takes over the Duchesne football program after longtime head coach Charlie Elmendorf announced his retirement at the end of last season. Morris welcomes 18 starters back from last year’s team that lost to Lutheran St. Charles in the district finals. The defense will lean on Jamond Mathis once again as he looks to add to his school record in sacks this fall.
Francis Howell Central is a program on the rise under second-year head coach Malach Radigan as he brings back 14 starters from last year. Nick Ortinau will once again lead the Spartans offense this season after throwing for over 1,500 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2021 while Aidan Hernandez will look to improve on his 1,000-yard rushing season this fall.
- Head Coach – Vince Morris
- Record at school – 0-0 in first year
- Conference – AAA Conference
- 2021 record – 8-3
- 2021 highlights – Lost to eventual MSHSAA Class 2 state champion Lutheran St. Charles in the district final 42-0.
- Returning players: Jamond Mathis, Rob Jones, Ethan Kissel, Lee Jackson, Cameron Lee, and Joshua Baker-Mays.
- Players to Watch: Jamond Mathis and Rob Jones
- Season Outlook: “We should have a pretty talented team this year,” stated Morris. “We have size on both sides of the ball, we are very senior heavy, and we have many college calibur kids. We do play a tough schedule against larger schools in St. Mary’s, MICDS, Cardinal Ritter, and Vianney, amongst others. Looking to make a deep run in the playoffs, will be determined by health and adaptation to new offensive and defensive systems. Jamond Mathis already has the school record in career sacks, looking for that number to go up with strong interior help from Paul Myles and Lee Jackson.”
- Friday, August 26 vs Lift For Life
- Friday, September 9 at Cardinal Ritter
- Friday, September 23 at St. Mary’s
Francis Howell Central Spartans
- Head Coach – Malach Radigan
- Record at school – 2-8 in second year
- Conference – Gateway Athletic Conference
- 2021 record – 2-8
- Returning players: RB/LB Aidan Hernandez (208-1,041-yard rusher; 12 TDs; does not leave the field); QB Nick Ortinau (1,500-yard passer; 126-207; 61%; 10 TD’s)
- Players to Watch: WR corps: Keith Johnson, Will Thomas, Cullen Humes, Corey Jones, Connor Sheehan. All return with high expectations. Carson Webster – OT, and Collin Parsons – LB.
- Season Outlook: “This TEAM has dedicated itself since Dec. 6 to become a bigger, faster, and stronger TEAM than a year ago,” stated Radigan. “They are wanting to be the group to change the football culture at Howell Central. These kids have lived our motto of servant leadership, relentless effort, and love. We have over 125 kids out for football and that says a lot about the direction of a culture change.”
- Friday, August 26 at Fort Zumwalt East
- Friday, Saturday, September 16 vs Troy
- Friday, October 14 at Howell
Jim Powers has been covering prep sports in the St. Louis area for 15+ years and a part of the Missouri State High School Activities Association Championship Broadcasts for the past 11 years. Powers is also a part of the Fox 2 Verlo Mattress Prep Zone Friday nights at 10:10 during the football and basketball seasons. If you have a prep sports story, please contact Jim at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow Jim at @hssportscaravan