We finish up our softball previews today as we take a peek at a pair of teams that will look to a group of young players to help their programs compete for conference championships and a spot in the post-season state tournament.
Cor Jesu head coach Ashleigh Belleville will turn to senior catcher Lili Work to lead a solid group of younger players as the Chargers will attempt to turn around a program that has been down for the past few years.
First-year head coach Andrew Keating will count on a group of rising underclassmen to help the Eagles play for a conference title in a very tough Gateway Athletic Association Central division.
Cor Jesu Chargers
- Head Coach – Ashleigh Belleville
- Years at school – Ninth season
- Conference – MWAA
- 2021 record – 5-19
- Starters Returning: Seven returning starters, we only have three upperclassmen on our team with nine freshman and sophomores.
- Returning players: Senior Lili Work – Catcher, Sophomore Isabelle Hochmuth – Center Field, Sophomore Sophia Spivey – Outfield.
- Players to Watch: Freshman Grace Rasmussen – Third base, Freshman Sofi Work – Shortstop/Utility (sister of senior, Lili), Freshman Zoey Mathews –Pitcher/First Base
- Season Outlook: “The last couple of seasons have been down years for us but we have a great group of underclassmen that are very athletic and talented,” stated Belleville. “We have one of the hardest working seniors in the area who is motivating our younger players to work hard and have great attitudes. I am very excited about our hitters and how quickly our players are improving and coming together as a team!”
- Friday, September 9 vs IWA
- Wednesday, September 21 at Webster Groves
- Friday, September 30 Lindbergh
- Head Coach – Andrew Keating
- Record at school – 0-0 in his first year
- Conference – Gateway Athletic Conference
- 2021 record – 11-15
- Returning players: Anna Strother, Baylie Roetemeyer, Payton Hemmer, Sam Kozlowski, Zoey
- Arnold, and Riley Andrzejewski.
- Players to Watch: Players: Anna Strother (Pitcher/INF) .357, 8 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR. Baylie Roetemeyer (C/INF) .398, 12 2B, 3 3B, 1 HR as a freshman.
- Season Outlook: “This upcoming fall we expect to have a lot of young talent on the team,” said Keating. “With multiple freshmen and sophomores starting, along with a good mix of juniors and two experienced seniors. We are a program on the rise and we expect Liberty softball to have an outstanding season.”
- Friday, August 26 at Troy
- Tuesday, September 20 vs Washington
- Thursday, October 6 vs Ursuline
Jim Powers has been covering prep sports in the St. Louis area for 15+ years and a part of the Missouri State High School Activities Association Championship Broadcasts for the past 11 years. Powers is also a part of the Fox 2 Verlo Mattress Prep Zone Friday nights at 10:10 during the football and basketball seasons. If you have a prep sports story, please contact Jim at email@example.com. Follow Jim at @hssportscaravan