Today, we head back out to the diamond to preview a pair of teams that had success last season and will look to build off of the 2021 season.
St. Charles West defeated the top two seeds in the district last season to advance to the state quarterfinals and head coach Jeremy Middendorf will look for four returning starters to help the Warriors make a return trip to the state tournament.
Bayless head coach Elliott Sterett returns six starters from last season and will lean on Leanna Mitts to lead a young pitching staff in hope of having their third straight winning season.
St. Charles West Warriors
- Head Coach – Jeremy Middendorf
- Record at school – 14-32 in two years
- Conference – Gateway Athletic Conference
- 2021 record – 9-16
- 2021 highlights – Won their district by upsetting Westminster 9-7 before falling to Perryville in the MSHSAA Class 3 quarterfinals.
- Returning players: Senior Avery Little – SS, Senior Leanna Mitts – P, Junior Lauren Arender – CF, Sophomore Delaney Little – 3B.
- Players to Watch: Sophomore Kennedy Thomas – 1B.
- Season Outlook: “We play in a really tough conference and hope to just compete,” stated Middendorf. “We have 6 returning starters who won Districts last year and would like to repeat that. We lost a pitcher and as of right now Leanna Mitts is our only true pitcher. How our season will go will be based on who steps up and fills the role of a secondary pitcher.”
- Tuesday, September 5 vs St. Charles
- Tuesday, September 20 vs Orchard Farm
- Wednesday, September 21 vs Westminster
- Head Coach – Elliott Sterett
- Record at school – 27-50 in six years
- Conference – South Central Athletic Association
- 2021 record – 10-5
- Returning players: Senior Ella Follen, Senior Sarah Hoock, Junior Marissa Kohler, Junior Izzy Kohl, Junior Ava Eckhard, and Junior Lana Pickeral.
- Players to Watch: Sophomore Tracy Nguyen, Sophomore Aubre Follen, Junior Saury Dudenhoeffer, and Junior Makayah Scarbrough.
- Season Outlook: “After back-to-back above .500 seasons, the team is looking to continue to build off their successes,” said Sterett. “While we lost four All-Conference team starters last year (Mykel Brooks, Kylie Diefenbach(Second team All-District), Suvada Dubinovic, and Kecia Lormine), we are also able to return four All-Conference returners in Ella Follen, Sarah Hoock (Second team All-District), Izzy Kohl (First team All-District and Second team All-Region), and Marissa Kohler). Our athletes are ready to battle for spots on the field and compete this upcoming fall.”
- Friday – Saturday, August 26 – 27 vs Bayless Tournament
- Wednesday, August 31 vs Jefferson
- Wednesday, October 5 at Valley Park
Jim Powers has been covering prep sports in the St. Louis area for 15+ years and a part of the Missouri State High School Activities Association Championship Broadcasts for the past 11 years. Powers is also a part of the Fox 2 Verlo Mattress Prep Zone Friday nights at 10:10 during the football and basketball seasons. If you have a prep sports story, please contact Jim at email@example.com. Follow Jim at @hssportscaravan