We continue to preview all of the fall sports and girls’ softball is once again going to be outstanding in the area as many of the top players are returning for their senior seasons.
We head out to the GAC as both Troy and Timberland are in a great position to compete for not only conference titles but have the capability to make deep runs in the state tournament as both squads return solid upperclassmen from last year. Jefferson R7 has a new coach in Amanda Mohan as she will turn to shortstop Leah Webb to lead a young group this fall.
Troy Buchanan Trojans
- Head Coach: Ben Johnstone.
- Years at School and Coaching Record: This will be my 3rd year. Coaching Record is 16 wins and 27 losses.
- Conference: GAC South
- Last Year’s Overall and Conference Record: 11-11. 3-7.
- Starters Returning. 5.
- Top Returning Players: Logen Davis, Jack Patton, Landon Hupper, Liam Sontag, and Jake Ladlie.
- Players to Watch: There could be a few underclassmen that rise to the challenge. There is a large group of talented and hungry younger players, it would not surprise me at all to see a few of them break out as big contributors.
Season Outlook: “We will look to build upon the strong foundation that was laid by last year’s team,” stated Johnstone. “The mission stays the same, be the best we can be each and every day and see where that gets us. Lean into each other and build trusting relationships to maximize our potential as a group.”
Jefferson R-7 Blue Jays
- Head Coach: Amanda Mohan
- Years at School and Coaching Record: 1st year
- Last Year’s Overall and Conference Record:
- Players to Watch: So far, I have only had a few practices- I can say Leah Ott my shortstop is my best player and will be huge for us this year.
Season Outlook: “I am new to the R7 program but not new to softball- I coached at STL Notre Dame for five years and then coached in STL Chaos organization for 6 years as well as played for STL Chaos growing up,” said Mohan. “I graduated from Hillsboro High School in 2006 and went on to play for Bradley University on the softball team. My main focus with this team is to teach the game and develop their skills both on and off the field.”
- Head Coach: Andy Zerr
- Years at School and Coaching Record: 3 years: 50 wins-45 Loses
- Conference: GAC South
- Last Year’s Overall and Conference Record: Overall 12-15 Conference 4-6
- Starters Returning – 6 returning starters.
- Top Returning Players: Ava Kuzara, Audrey Silver, Gracie Miller, Paityn Slezak
- Players to Watch: Alyana White, Riley Walkenhorst, Libby Gauspohl, Joe Wallace
Season Outlook: Returning strong core of players only losing one player to graduation, stated Zerr. “The incoming freshman class could have some impactful players at the varsity level both in the circle and with the bat. Alyana White returns to the Circle at full strength after most of her JR year.”
Jim Powers has been covering prep sports in the St. Louis area for 15+ years and a part of the Missouri State High School Activities Association Championship Broadcasts for the past 11 years. Powers is also a part of the Fox 2 Verlo Mattress Prep Zone Friday nights at 10:10 during the football and basketball seasons. If you have a prep sports story, please contact Jim at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow Jim at @hssportscaravan