The boys’ basketball season is in full swing and there are many of the usual suspects at the top of the High School Sports Caravan Top 10 rankings for this week. We wanted to see how many of the top teams would fair at the beginning of the season before we started our rankings.
East St. Louis will start at the top of the list after a great start to the season while De Smet will start things in the second slot to start the season.
Here is the list of the HSSC Top 10 rankings. Just a reminder that our list is a complete list of teams in all classes.
- East St. Louis (8-1)
- The Flyers will start at the top of the list with a three-game winning streak including a 74-61 win over Jefferson City at the Norm Stewart Classic this past Saturday.
- De Smet (5-1)
- The Spartans rebounded after a loss to Tennessee power Fayette Ware with a 61-59 win over St. Louis University High. They will play next as the top seed in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic at Maryville against Parkway North Monday, Dec. 27.
- Belleville East (10-0)
- The Lancers are off to a hot start with wins over Rock Bridge and a 3-0 start at the Alton pre-season tourney. They will host Granite City Thursday before playing in the Collinsville Tournament.
- MICDS (6-2)
- The Rams are the top seed in the Don Mauer Holiday Invite and will look to rebound after to falling to SLUH 58-56 this past Tuesday evening. They will open play in their classic against Fort Zumwalt West Friday.
- CBC (5-2)
- The Cadet won the Webster Groves Classic and then defeated Chaminade before falling to Kickapoo at the Norm Stewart Classic this past Saturday. CBC will head to Mater Dai to take on Metro-East Lutheran after the Christmas break.
- Chaminade (3-1)
- The Red Devils have won their last two games after falling to CBC in their MCC opener last Friday evening. They will take on San Antonio Central Catholic Wednesday evening.
- Vashon (2-4)
- The Wolverines have played a national schedule to open the season and are the top team in Class 4 to begin the year. Vashon will take on Butchel Monday, Dec. 26 to continue their year.
- Breese Central (10-0)
- The Cougars are one of the top small school teams in Illinois to start the season and will host Columbia Friday evening to try and remain undefeated on the year.
- Cardinal Ritter (5-3)
- The Lions needed a last-second basket to defeat New Madrid County Central at the Norm Stewart Classic and will take on St. Dominic in a AAA Conference match-up Wednesday night.
- Columbia (9-2)
- The Eagles have won five of their last six games and will head to Breese Central for a match-up Friday evening.
Jim Powers has been covering prep sports in the St. Louis area for 15+ years and a part of the Missouri State High School Activities Association Championship Broadcasts for the past 11 years. Powers is also a part of the Fox 2 Verlo Mattress Prep Zone Friday nights at 10:10 during the football and basketball seasons. If you have a prep sports story, please contact Jim at email@example.com. Follow Jim at @hssportscaravan